Monday, July 21, 2008

Precocious






DEFINITION: unusually advanced or mature in development, esp. mental development: a precocious child.

Now, I am not usually one to brag (alright, that's kind of a lie) but the fireman supervisor said that Trevor is precocious. He had a smile on his face while my mind ticked around a little bit trying to remember what that word meant- so I knew it was a good thing. But I am getting ahead of myself.

Trevor and I took a short walk today. Right across the street is Firehouse #4. When we first walked up the big engine was gone. Both large doors were closed and there wasn't any motion on the inside of the building. I was a little sad, but what can you expect during fire season? I pointed out the "small" engine through the windows, then walked around to the office of the firehouse.

No one was there, even though a few TVs were audible from the front room. A bit disappointed, we turned around and headed back to home. The short walk back is quite scenic so I took it upon myself to find a spot to sit and "watch cars" before we got back to the crosswalk.

We sat and played with a little plane that doubles as a tiny fan, and talked about motorcycles, firemen, firetrucks, flowers... you know- two year old stuff.


Then I heard a loud metallic rolling sound. What luck! The big engine was back! I shot up and scooped Trevor into my arms. I pointed at the engine and the firemen and he smiled. When we got closer, he was a bit nervous.

Strangers, new things, BIG truck...

But after a while he opened up. He was talking up a storm, and pointing things out all over the garage. He was given stickers, a coloring book, and a little red plastic helmet.


We didn't get to hear the siren (I didn't ask), but I think it would have been too loud, that close-up, to appreciate. The fireman that showed us around ( I forgot his name because I was too busy being self conscious over my sweat and nervous child) was really nice and said we can come back anytime we want.

I am going to take him up on that. I think we'll head back in a day or two. Trevor really seemed to have a good time. He learns very fast and on the walk home he was talking to me about all the things he saw. Then once we reached the corner of our apartment complex all he wanted to do was smell and play with flowers.

We sat there for about 15 minutes. We played with flowers, laughed, watched cars and motorcycles...

Now it's time for a bath and bedtime.

I love being Trevor's mommy. There really is nothing like it.

2 comments:

  1. what a cool thing to do! and of course trevor is smart...YOU are his mommy, and you spend so much time with him teaching and playing with him! i'm not surprised in the least. glad you guys had fun...these pictures are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you wait till after we leave to do all the really fun stuff!

    I'm glad Trevor liked it so much. Kind of makes up for being late to the Fourth of July parade and missing the firetrucks there.

    ReplyDelete