Monday, July 14, 2008

A question, or two..

So, here is the ordeal. I am about to finish my dog training school and get certified and all that (I know, it's about time, right?).

I understand- completely- that I don't have years upon years of dog training expertise, but I DO have years of training knowledge and years of dog knowledge.

So why is it, that it seems no one wants to listen to me? Don't ask me dog advice, if you're not going to take it.

Nothing has really happened lately- it just seems like since I have started my career people don't take me seriously. I guess if I ask for money maybe they WILL take me for what I am- a REAL dog trainer. I might not do it every week- but I definitely get my fair share of exposure and I certainly keep myself updated.

People- if you want dog training advice and don't want to hear the truth, talk to your other dog owner friends... not me... because it pisses me off when you don't care enough to keep your dog safe or take my advice after "needing it".

I am going to have to come to grips with this reality and understand it happens to every dog trainer (or any kind of teaching profession) where the "student" thinks they know more than the teacher. Maybe they do- but if they do not... ::sigh::

I'll stop. I could gripe for words and words but I have an essay to write.

Sorry.


To all my friends and clients who have followed my teaching and have done a great job and are much happier with their dog- thank you!! It means the world to me that you trust me!

2 comments:

  1. I was just telling David that when we get a dog I want you to train it. I think you have done a wonderful job with vince and would consider myself lucky to have a dog like him. I would also want you to teach it to play dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not that people don't take you seriously...they just don't want to hear that they're doing something wrong, and they don't want to have to change anything or take time to fix it. They would rather act like you don't know what you're talking about.
    The wonderful type of people who in some twisted way, they think they take wonderful care for the pets...when they're awful pet parents. The same people who have never dealt with birds...but the second I start explaining what they need to do, they know everything.


    PS-I may need your help with Z when you get back. Her fear of strangers isn't getting any better...and it certainly doesn't help that we never have anyone new at our house.

    ReplyDelete