Saturday, February 23, 2008

That Thing

In the passed 9 days I have felt more clear (physically, mentally, spiritually) than I have in my entire life.

I completely attribute it to taking meat out of my diet. When a "major" decision like this is made and the end result is clarification- I have no problem when ::cough::judgemental::cough:: people say things about how it's "silly" or "pointless". I have put the word "major" in quotations because most people consider something like that huge- but to me it was not. I barely ate meat in the last 2 yrs anyway.

My favorite is when people tell me I will get sick and need to take so many vitamins. They seem to enjoy sharing others' pains with me (i.e.- my cousin blah blah blah sick all the time blah blah lost weight yadda yadda started eating meat again...).

My vegetarianism has also been referred to as "that thing" as well.

"Oh, we did that thing for a few years."

It's not a thing to me. It's a lifestyle. It's a position. It's power. It's peace. It's health. It's clarity, justice, and above all else, better for me.

Why is it others find they need to tell you what's in your best interest? That always make me smile and be thankful for who I really am.

A good person.

Thanks for reading...

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you!

    I think I could give up red meat (and have suggested to Brandon that we try, but we've never done it), but I wouldn't know how to cook dinner if we cut chicken out of our lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah....
    It won't get any better either (as far as people saying things). It will get easier to ignore it or laugh it off though. I'm am so glad you feel better. :)

    We do take a B complex just in case we eat crappily on accident...I always forget to take it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are always people who tell you how you "need" to live. Those are the same people who are seldomly following their own crappy advice. My take is, you listen, smile and nod, and do whatever the hell you want to anyway. I can give advice to others but you cross the line when you tell others how to live thier lives. Knowledge is power, and you can provide knowledge but telling someone what to do interferes with free will, which is every person's right. Kudo's to you for deciding to do something you feel strongly about, regardless of what anyone else has had thier cousin live through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool beans! That's awesome. Not that I'm a veggie myself. But there are definate health perks involved- and we totally do not need meat to live. I just crave it a lot. I will get there some day. Maybe I'll be a hoilday meat eater or a week day veggie. LOL maybe I'm hopeless. Good job on the self discipline.

    ReplyDelete