Sunday, March 13, 2011

Confession Time

Ya know, I just haven't been able to set a price for my artwork yet. It's frustrating! I am really excited to put the items up but honestly- truly- I have no idea what to charge.

I certainly have a goal, yes... but is it reasonable? Is it rational? Does it have to be reasonable and rational? Why can't I just put the price I want on my work?

You see, it's a matter of balance. I know deep in my heart that I put my all into these pieces, and I love them. So, I want to make the price higher because I put a lot of myself and time into them, and I love them. I. I want someone else to love them as much as I do, and thusly "collect" and item or two. But is that too much, too selfish?

On the other hand, I have the interest to charge less because I want, perhaps, my friends to purchase one if they like it- and not feel obligated to pay a lot more.

I just have NO IDEA. I thought of doing an auction, but I don't believe that is an option on etsy.com.

I can also price a few of the pieces high, and a few of the pieces low... or make the prices negotiable... but I just can't settle on anything.

I need help with this, anyone have any suggestions? ;)

2 comments:

  1. Why not base the price on who it is who wants to buy it? SO if a friend asks how much it is, give them a price that they would be able to afford, meanwhile, if a "collector" asks, give them the price you initially wanted to set. I suppose this would be kinda unfair to your customers, but it would be more fair to yourself, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how pricing for art goes. Is there a house in your area where you can ask these questions? I would think it would go something like, the medium you use, the size of the work, time put in, and of course, the popularity of the artist. As they gain more popularity, the price for their artwork goes up, naturally because the value appreciates.

    ReplyDelete